Thursday, March 11, 2010

Piano Lessons

Sometimes it's refreshing to break away from thoughts about our Catholic faith and look at the small things, the moments which make us laugh or stop and remember with renewed wonder that gifted, and well behaved children exist. It is counter point to the gloom emanating from overseas which is as dark as the black smoke that signals no Pope has yet been elected.

One such moment from today's piano lessons:

"Did you practice this week?", to an energetic First Grader.

"Well, no."

"I see. Why not?"

"Well, my armpits hurt."


Another moment, really a whole lesson, the last one of the day. A young man who began learning the piano six months ago, came to his lesson wearing a cast on his broken right arm. Undeterred by the cast he played the first two movements of his Clementi Sonatina almost flawlessly.





The sister of the young man above:

"You mean I get to play Bach? I can't wait for the challenge!"

The youngest of the three children, another First Grader:

"I love piano, but my brother plays all the time. I have a hard time getting to practice. So sometimes I come home for a snack after school and sneak in and start playing early."

Some families are just amazing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I only hope that will be the way it is at our house one day! I started Gabe with piano and so far so good. I love your blog Sandy!