Friday, April 23, 2010

Piano Lessons

"Sam, did you practice this week?"

"Well, no, I FORGOT! And, my brother keeps annoying me."

"Do you think your brother gets in your way when you are trying to practice because he kind of admires you and he wants to be like you?"

"Well, I do know more about paleontology than he does, lots more."

"Shall we make up a song about your favorite dinosaur that you could practice playing at home?"

And we did...though Sam couldn't remember how to spell the title (he is going to look it up at home.)

Now that we have his arm-pits unstuck and he has a song about his favorite thing in the whole world, maybe, just maybe he will remember to practice!

Another first grade girl walked into her lesson waving her assignment notebook.

"Someone put stars and scribbles in my book and it wasn't me!"

"Stars and scribbles? May I see?"

"There, stars and a lot of scribbles. I don't scribble so it can't have been me."

"Oh, I see, those are daffodils and stems."

"How can you tell?"

"Well, I think I was doodling during your last lesson."

Silence.

"Oh.....I still think they are stars and scribbles."

Michael, an eleven year old student, is preparing for his school talent show which is coming up in May.

"Do you want to hear my songs?"

"Sure, what are you going to play?"

"Well, I have put together a medley of four songs. Three are ragtime and the last one is Ode to Joy, because it's so joyful!"

Now, there's a medley for you!

2 comments:

Joe Texas said...

I hope your piano teaching is better than our doodling;) I love the excuses sounds a lot like my baseball practices where goofing off is much better than actually practicing!

Sandy Marshall said...

These kids are so funny! Especially Sam. They are fun to teach, which is why I keep going when they don't practice as much as they should!