Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Piano Lessons

"How was your  four-day weekend?" I asked my very talented 7th grade student today.

"Well, I crammed as much relaxation into it as I could."

"Gee, that sounds almost stressful. What did you do?"

"Well, what adults don't realize is that kids have to learn how to relax. I slept a lot, watched a couple of movies, read some books, and I watched the Rangers. They are up by two games, by the way. Then just when I had finally relaxed I had to go back to school today."

"Oh. It sounds....like it went just fine.. let's play some Clementi now."

And he zipped into his Sonatina with astonishing sensitivity. I noticed that he didn't list piano practice as among his relaxation activities, but I forgave him. He clearly had practiced, and when he told me that the Clementi slow movements are his favorites, I knew that whether he is relaxing or not he will always appreciate good music.

Maybe it's the baseball playoffs that he has to learn to relax with?

No comments: