Saturday, March 30, 2024

Choir Choir, The Pressing Need for Zip Ties

  Our children’s choir squeezed in a Holy Saturday rehearsal this morning, so they would be ready to sing tomorrow at the 11:00am Mass. We are all excited because this is one of the best groups I’ve ever worked with. They sing beautifully. They are mostly bilingual, speaking Spanish and English, and most of them regularly attend a Spanish mass. To have, finally, a group willing to sing in either Spanish or English is very dear to my heart. 

On my way out the door for rehearsal, my husband quietly asked if I wanted him to back the car out , as he had pulled in fairly close to the wall. I nodded, so he backed out and I was on my way. 

Normally he wouldn’t think of helping me back the car out of the garage. But , as the saying goes, circumstances alter cases. The circumstance in question being my recent encounter with the edge of the garage door opener, a metal piece that in my opinion is way too exposed….. However, here is what happened. I backed the car out, scraping the front fender against the above noted GDO which caused the , VERY FLIMSY fender  to separate from the car. Yes it was entirely my fault, and all joking aside, I have no idea how I could have been so careless. 

My daughter, who is good at arranging things like insurance reports, called our agent who, she reported, tut tutted and said self inflicted damage to a car is a lose lose situation. 

Meaning it’s going to cost the earth to get the fender securely reattached. 

A, our daughter, then said she knew what to do and it involved the purchase of zip ties from Kroger’s. So we packed the baby in her car and drove to Kroger’s, where in addition to zip ties, we found iced Easter cookies. 

To my husband’s great astonishment, our daughter zip tied the fender back on the car, and it looks almost as good as new. Lose lose doesn’t weigh on me as much now because it seems we can post-pone the repair  almost indefinitely. The zip ties are black, by the way, matching the color of the car. Had they been white, I might be in more of a hurry to get Harry from Harry’s Body Shop on the case. 

We went from lose lose to win, (and later,) lose. Seeing how effectively our daughter jumped in and saved the situation is a huge win. I don’t think zip ties would have occurred to me. Maybe they are standard among her friends. If so, more power to them. Both her initiative and her solution are a win win for me. 

And who knows, the zip ties might out last the car.

Deo Dicamus Gratias.

No comments: